Students can create these beautiful candlesticks from Jerusalem stone.
Detailed instructions for creating these candlesticks are available in the BJE book Celebrating Israel Through the Arts by Linda Carol Sonin.
- Jerusalem stone: 18-20 stones for 2 candlesticks; rinsed and dried; chosen by students for varied colors and sizes
- Shabbat Candle Drip Cups: 2 per student
- Glue that is non-toxic, nonflammable, and bonds stone to stone and stone to metal
Procedure (for more detailed information, see Celebrating Israel Through the Arts):
- Students glue the largest stones next to each other to create a wide base.
- Encourage students to spend time stacking the stones before gluing. They can experiment with color, height, and making sure their stones can balance.
- Students glue one stone on top of the next, creating a column. Be careful not to saturate the surface with glue or stones will slide.
- Students glue on the candle cups.
- Let candlesticks dry overnight.
Grades: 3rd-5th and 6th-8th
Celebrating Israel Through the Arts is available from the BJE. For more information or to purchase, email firstname.lastname@example.org.